Already regretting your decision to take your leave during the holidays?
In an attempt to have all my errands taken care off before the actual public holidays, I rushed off to the mall with great expectations.
With all of this out of the way, I thought I would have loads of quality time to write away. I was wrong, I was so wrong. Trying to take care of a billion, minute last minute details, within a short period of time is a terrible idea! Almost everyone is thinking along the same lines these days.
Everybody wants to make the best of their time during the holidays. Busy malls remind me of the great stampede on the movie The Lion King. I stand back in fear. This is me being over dramatic and giving myself a coronary attack, as I watch the crowds push and tug to get where they need to be. Crammed against sweaty, stinky bodies during a South African heat wave, is not exactly my idea of relaxation. Everyone is always in a rush to get somewhere, thus the whole purpose of a holiday is defeated, right.
Don’t fret! You still have time to save a semblance of your sanity if you follow some basic self-development rules:
- Whenever you feel an impulse to take off your designer sandal and slap some sense into someone, you should stand back. Take a deep breath. Chill. Now, remind yourself that this is still better than being at work with your boss breathing down your neck, giving you a panic attack, literally. Breathing techniques work wonders in combatting stress.
- If you have a lot of shopping to do always have a list made up in advance instead of prowling the isles. Make sure to get to the mall really early and be the first customer. In that way, you can have the entire store for yourself.
- Give yourself a break between errands. You shouldn’t be in a rush to get somewhere, after all, you are on holiday. Enjoy a drink or an ice cream at a restaurant. Try a power smoothie at the health bar.
- Have a special treat for yourself ready once you get home. The anticipation of a relaxing swim and a mocktail, and kicking off those heals and stepping into your soft furry slippers and sleep shirt to slip into, is more than enough incentive to put a smile on your face.
- Eat proper meals and stay hydrated to prevent heartburn. Water has the ability to recharge your body and energize you. Don’t overdo the water thing at the malls though. You won’t end up doing any shopping at all.
- It is not any fun to be doing errands all alone. Take a friend with you but please don’t ever make the mistake of getting a sullen teen to accompany you to a mall. That is the worst idea.
- Many malls in South Africa, have built-in car wash facilities. While you shop, you can have your car washed. It saves you time and energy so you won’t have to do a D.I.Y at home.
- Don’t overspend or you will be stuck in debt in the first month of the new year. Get what you need and then leave the mall as soon as you are done.
I do hope this helps to keep you calm and that you actually enjoy the holidays. I have often heard people say that they need a holiday after the holidays. You can make the most of your time if you follow the tips which are mentioned above. Remember that you are on holiday. Without the normal work routine and deadlines, you are as free as can be.