Make some changes
The same old issues we had last year are bound to crop up into the new year if we don’t make small changes to our lifestyle. The old routine of juggling work commitments, family responsibilities, the challenge of remaining part of certain social norms, community projects yadah yadah yadah is officially back.
Stop! Get rid of last years habits, now! May I go ahead and breathe fresh perspective into your routine? Come on, it is time for some changes. Are you ready? Here we go…
It’s the start of a new year and it can be the start of a new life for both you and me too.
I don’t know much, but what I have learned from life is that you have to take each day as it comes. Baby steps. One day at a time. Whenever you feel overwhelmed, with what life throws your way, you have to stop and focus on one thing at a time. You can’t fix everything in one go. Self-development is a slow process which requires oodles of patience.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- Did you neglect your health over the holidays?
- Have you been overspending during the past few months?
Take some time out to reflect on all the external changes you need to make. Perhaps you need to pay certain bills.
3. Do you have a plan?
How are you going to pay it off?
4. Do you need to declutter your home?
Are there numerous items which you have accumulated but have no use for?
5. Are there changes you wish to make to your career or job?
First things first. Let’s grab a writing pad and a pen. On your page, make 3 sections.
A.) External goals /material issues.
C.) Health and physical goals.
- Write everything down in their respective sections.
- Have a timeline and set your goals for each month.
- Break that down into weekly goals and methods for achieving your goals.
- Once you have done that get to the emotional issues that have weighed you down last year. How are you wiling to resolve those issues?
- Are there friends which you need to let go off slowly from your life?
- Is there someone you need to have that essential chat with?
- What are your health goals and aspirations?
- Do you need to see a doctor for that annual check-up which is long over-due?
Execute your plans
- Go ahead and break down your steps. Next to each step, jot down a date. Tackle one thing at a time, one day at a time.
- Re – evaluate your old goals and make changes and adjustments.
- Goals give you something to work towards. Direction gives you a sense of security. When you achieve certain milestones you will feel relief and a sense of achievement.
Now for stage two…
It is essential to be able to reflect and to meditate each day.
- Reflect on your purpose each day and never lose sight of that.
- Meditate. Sit back and detox your mind. Pick a time and use that time wisely. All it takes is 15 minutes a day.
Take time out
If all you do, is run between chores and work, kids and cooking then you are going to suffer from burn out and monotony.
- Set aside some time for yourself every single day.
- Whether you use the time you have early in the morning before everyone wakes up or whether you use the last hour before bed time.
- Breathe. Relax. Unwind. Breathing techniques are a great stress reliever. See Megahan Livingstone’s video on specific breathing skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Check out WebMD for breathing techniques that bust stress away:
Do something you love
- Get a new hobby besides Netflix. Find something that can remove your mind from stress and calm you down.
Visit a friend
Do you have a trusted friend whom you may confide in?
Someone who will not judge you.
A friend who will give you their perspective on your life
An honest friend who will tell you those truths which you need to hear.
Someone you can be yourself with.
- Once a month, have a catch-up session with him or her.
Take care of yourself
Sometimes simple things like self-care is very important.
- Ask your barber / hairdresser for a head massage.
- Do a home facial.
- Pamper yourself. When you look good you feel good. Buy something nice to wear.
- When we are stressed out, we tend to neglect our bodies first and appearance.
- Relax away with some bath bombs and lather on some lotion.
Do something Impulsive once in a while
Get out of your normal routine.
- Who says that all the fun things have to be done over the weekends? Have a family barbecue on a week night.
- Get out those board games. Assemble the family in the living room. Put away your phones and begin.
- Book a ticket for the movies on a week night. Take your partner out. Organize a babysitter if you need to.
- Go for a walk in the park with the kids.
- Eat out in the middle of the week. Will the kids fail their whole year of school if you go out with them on a school night? I think not! Plan ahead. Make sure that homework is done. Make sure that everything is in its place for the next day.
- Go for a drive and buy those ice cream cones.
Children also need a break now and then from the tedium of school day routines. We tend to make it a rule that week days are just for work work and more work. Don’t keep repeating old patterns expecting different results. Make small changes to your life and stick to those changes. You will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome of getting out of your normal rut. You are in charge of your life. Make your own rules and traditions. Set your own trends. Make this year count!